Friday, February 08, 2008

MCI=$&@&%!!

Last night after completing my taxes, as if this wasn't enough aggravation for one evening, I decided to go through the less important mail laying on the kitchen table. Much to my dismay I found a postcard from MCI who I was using for long distance on my home phone. They had sent the post card to notify me that they would be charging me $5.99 per month for their service, which I never use. Instead, I use my cell, like most folks.

I tried to use their website to make this change but in order to log into their system I had to have a randomly generated PIN number which would be sent to me by mail in 7-10 days. That wasn't going to work because I'm not paying a service charge for a service I don't use.

So, I get on the phone and dial into their customer service line. The prompt told me that there was unusually high call volume and it would take a really long time for them to answer my call. Gee, I wonder why? Could it be that the masses got this same post card and thought "aw hell no!" So, I wait, I listen to the non-descript music playing, and I wait some more and about an hour later a human finally answered the phone ready and willing to help me.

Needless to say by this time I'm fuming. I tried not to be mean to her, she's just the messenger. (Yes, this comes from years of working in call centers where people scream and yell at you.) I told her I wished to cancel my MCI services. Sadly for her, she responded "we're very sorry to hear that will you please tell me why?" I was more than happy to tell her why. I bet she was sorry she asked.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Argh. I hate customer service lines. I know they get paid shit to take all kinds of abuse, but the whole 'we ask these annoying questions to better serve you' BS is really irritating. Next time I'm going to try using the same thing I tell my kids 'BECAUSE I SAID SO'.

Bone said...

Ah, yes. I completely cancelled my long distance carrier on my home phone a couple of years ago for the same reason.

I got a bill in the mail from a credit card company the other day. They've started charging a $20 annual fee if you don't use the card once a year. I haven't used mine in over two years. Ugh.

I called and cancelled the card.

MarkD60 said...

Sounds like Digicell and Spirit Air. Except Spirit air NEVER answers!