Monday, May 22, 2006

Remember these guys?

If you're saying for the love Carnealian, they look like a bunch of freaks! Well, you would be correct. And, it would also indicate that you were probably not a teenager in the 80's or perhaps you didn't have cable and weren't privvy to MTV's early days when they actually played videos most of the time.

When MTV wasn't playing videos, they had shows like The Young Ones which is a Brit comedy started in the early 80's. I finally got to see it beginning in the second season which was in the mid 80's or so. And that was when I last saw it, until this weekend.

I have a friend that came to visit bearing good tidings and the entire 2 seasons of The Young Ones on DVD! I had kind of forgotten how disgusting this show can be. I mean, consider 4 young guys living together and what the cleanliness of the living quarters might be. That's just for starters. My favorite part of this show was their musical guests that would show up in the kitchen or some how be very non-chalontly worked into the script. Some of the guest bands were Dexy's Midnight Runners, Madness, The Damned, (I did say this was the 80's didn't I?)

It was a lot of fun seeing this show again. I might have to go watch another episode before bed tonight! I'm so boooring.


9 comments:

NittanyBri said...

Bah! You are FAR from boring. The Young Ones are good, digusting fun! :)

Jim said...

jez, but the picture did cure my hiccups

Unknown said...

What I find odd is how British Youth culture has not changed at all since then. You can go through London and see people dressed EXACTLY like that picture. And nobody notices. Unlike here where someone dressed in Michael Jackson's "Thriller" outfit will be mocked and small children will run away screaming.

Bone said...

"Way before Nirvana, there was U2 and Blondie. And music still on MTV..."

Those were the days.

Anonymous said...

I looooooved the Young Ones.
My favorite was the slow, goofy guy with the long hair. Can't for the life of me remember his name. Yeah, they were hilarious.

~m

Carnealian said...

Michael...that's Neil.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Neil.
Thanks for scratching that itch...

~m

MarkD60 said...

I remember when MTV first came out. It was much much better than it is now.

Jeff said...

THE YOUNG ONES! I only saw that show less than a dozen times on tv, but it was great! I'll have to run to the store this weekend and pick that up.