Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Forever Young

Tomorrow is the day. The day my nephew leaves for University. Last night we had dinner together and I knew when he left, it would be the last time I would see him as the young, naive, impressionable 18 year old that he is. Next time we're together, he'll be 19, and will have just about finished his first semester in college. He'll officially be a cadet in the United States Navy as of this Friday.

I promised myself I wouldn't cry and I didn't, until this morning on the way to work, and now, and probably tomorrow. We hugged each other and said our "I love you's."

I'm so excited for him for this great opportunity he has before him. And, it's exactly what he's wanted to do for a long time now. He'll be majoring in physics which makes both my sister and my skin crawl. He wants to serve his country and I admire him for making this decision and sticking with it. I will miss him. He won't ever been the same boy I had dinner with last night.

I know that both sets of his grandparents that are no longer with us, would be absolutely beaming. And so they should.


"And when you finally fly away
I'll be hoping that I served you well
For all the wisdom of a lifetime
No one can ever tell
But whatever road you choose
I'm right behind you, win or lose
Forever Young."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww Carn! You're not supposed to make me cry! Those photos are so sweet! You SHOULD be proud of your nephew. He sounds like he's turned into quite the young man.