Thursday, August 10, 2006

Mr. Roboto

I see more and more animated movies being made. Recently Ant Bully came out. I'm sure these movies are cute and funny. But, the sad thing to me is, lately all the characters look the same. The kids in Ant Bully look like the kids in The Incredibles.

Computer generated images have really done some amazing things in the world of animation. But, it has also taken the individuality and creativity out of the drawings.

I guess the same could be said for the world of music. As many countless combinations of note can be put together, the music sounds the same because the artists are using machines to make the music.

Is it possible that we rely on machinery so much that were are becoming a world of clones and actually turing off the creative portions of our brains? Will we propogate children of the future that are unable to create through music, art and the written word because of our reliance on computers to do the work for us?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm lucky I don't have to go see kids' movies. The Ex takes them because that's about as creative as he can be when trying to come up with something to do with them. But I agree. I like the traditional animation better than the computer animation. I wish they would do less tech and more art!

Unknown said...

I think there are two reasons for the popularity of making animated movies:

1. You can pay a voice actor less than a physical actor

2. People our age grew up on cartoons and still like them.

Carnealian said...

I haven't actually seen these movies...well the Incedibles I did. But, I've just been noticing all this via the commericals and I'm finding it annoying.

Lass...I would expect nothing less from you than taking your children to something much better than a dumb cartoon anyway!!

Observer...I'd need to see Clerks 1 which happens to be sitting beside my DVD player at this moment.

Mike...I still like cartoons but the one's I grew up with Scooby Doo, The Jetsons, The Flinstones, etc. I don't get all that anime and Japanese stuff. I'm old...don't remind me.

Bone said...

Not big on animated movies, myself. I saw Toy Story. That's about it.

Domo arigato, Mister Roboto. Domo... Domo...

Whatever that means. Someone called me a killjoy the other day and I told her, "No. Not killjoy. I'm Kilroy. Kilroy."

If any of this makes sense, I'm glad.

Anonymous said...

Interesting observation.
I too, agree there's a static feel to these animated characters.
A bit graphically apathetic.

~m