Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A Walk in the Park

Since I've been working during the daylight hours at my job in the "big city", as opposed to working in the evenings as I had in the past, parking has become somewhat of an issue. Not really and issue but something I've never really had to consider before. Because I work right in downtown Harrisburg, on 3rd Street to be exact (that alone becomes a joke to anyone from Harrisburg. 3rd Street is synonymous with prostitution. However, I've never seen a prostitute on 3rd Street and I've lived here all my life.) Anyway, so as not to have to pay a parking meter or pay an exhorbitant amount of money to park in a parking garage, I park on an island in the middle of the river. It's the same island that has batting cages, the baseball park, miniature golf, etc.

Because I park inexpensively on this island, I then must walk across an iron walking bridge that crosses the river and up about three blocks and left about 10 or so blocks. It's kind of funny, but I usually find myself on these same streets between 9:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m. on a Friday or Saturday night since many of the downtown bars I go to on occasion are en route to my office. Once I do get up to 3rd Street, the view is of the capital building which I never seem to get tired of seeing. I'm still inspired by it every day I walk by. Another fortunate thing is that I go to work later in the morning after most of the a.m. rush as gone. So, the walk is usually pretty quiet.

This morning it was especially nice taking this walk. It is always pretty nice getting a good walk in first thing in the a.m. but this morning it was breezy and sunny. The temperature was mild. There were a couple of guys fishing on the river and their boat was parked just beneath the bridge I was walking on. And, I didn't even have a skirt on!!! The water was sparkling and you could see the water currents moving swifter than the rest of the river. I could hear the radio on the boat and I thought, today would be a great day to be on the water enjoying life.

Luckily, I don't anticipate having to take this walk in the ugly winter weather months. I will be at school by then and probably only working in the evenings and will be able to park close to the office. At least, that's what I'm hoping!!

I just got back from a walk/run through the neighborhood. The air is slightly cool and it was just getting dark. And La Bella Luna is enormous tonight!!! HOooooooooooooooooowlllll!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I bet those fishermen were bummed.

I love the full moon.

Bone said...

I think it would be cool to walk across a river every morning to work. Sounds very pleasant.